The Stony Brook School seeks a full-time Facilities Mechanic/Foreman. Reporting to the Director of Facilities, this person will supervise the maintenance team and take a hands-on lead for non-MEP installations and campus repairs. (S)he will have on-call responsibilities to respond to occasional emergency situations off-hours.Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Director to assign daily work orders and manage maintenance requests;
- Distribute the workload and supervise production of maintenance employees to achieve the goals of the department and meet the needs of the campus;
- Assist the Director as needed for capital project initiatives;
- Take a hands-on lead for all non-MEP installations and campus repairs;
- Serve as the primary on-call staff by responding to emergency situations off-hours;
- Take on other duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities.
Optimally, the Facilities Mechanic/Foreman will possess the following qualifications or capabilities:
- Demonstrated leadership ability and delegation skills, yielding the capacity to oversee multiple initiatives simultaneously Demonstrated Hands on carpentry and construction skills
- Experience with and ability to oversee the following trades: sheet-rocking, painting, floor coverings, concrete work, rough and finish carpentry, tiling, window repair and replacement, hardware, exterior grounds, machinery and equipment maintenance, etc..
- Ability to creatively problem solve and work independently to fulfill the established objectives;
- Experience with and ability to work with a team and to supervise and manage employees;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility in schedule to handle on-call role;
- Service minded, congenial and patient;
- Support of the mission of the Stony Brook School.
Campus assets and areas of responsibility include: 55 acres of grounds, 15 institutional buildings, (7 of which are dormitory halls totaling 113 dorm rooms and 16 faculty apartments), 31 free standing single family houses, a motor pool of some 20 vehicles, athletic venues, classrooms, and dining facilities.
Compensation package includes hourly wage; 100% individual and family health benefits with small deductible; compensated time-off for holidays; vacation, and illness; 7.5% employer match for 5% 403(b) employee contribution; complimentary breakfast and lunch served daily, modest disability and life insurance policies.Please submit a cover letter and resume to Gregg Gunderson, Director of Facilities/Security; firstname.lastname@example.org